School Award: C-STEM Distinguished School
Nominations Due - August 31, 2023
UC Davis C-STEM Distinguished School Award
Recognizes C-STEM Schools for their exceptional contributions to providing students with equitable and equalized access to integrated computing and STEM education, preparing and inspiring students to pursue careers and post-secondary study in C-STEM fields. Award recipients are selected by the C-STEM Awards Committee consisting of the university faculty, graduate students, undergraduate students, and professionals with K12 experience.
- Schools being nominated must be K-12 schools with annual C-STEM subscriptions.
- Teachers and students in schools must have been actively participating in the C-STEM program.
- Schools have been continuously and actively involved in the C-STEM program.
- If selected, representative/s of the school must attend the C-STEM Annual Conference in person to receive the award and participate in a presentation.
Criterion 1: Schoolwide Adoption and Implementation of UC Davis C-STEM Program
- The school believes in the importance of integrated math and CS education to address the opportunity and achievement gaps and to prepare students for a global and technology-driven economy.
- For elementary schools, C-STEM is adopted at each grade level at the school and 60% or more of the total student body is enrolled in C-STEM.
- For middle schools, C-STEM is adopted at each of the grade level at the school and 50% or more of the total student body is enrolled in C-STEM.
- For high schools, C-STEM is adopted at a minimum of three grade levels and 40% or more of the total student body is enrolled in C-STEM.
- The school encourages collaboration and sharing of best practices among C-STEM teachers.
Criterion 2: Closing the Opportunity and Achievement Gap
- Teachers at the school completed the professional development in UC Davis C-STEM Academy I or equivalent.
- Students at the school have equitable and equalized opportunity to participate in C-STEM and have access to C-STEM software and robotic kits for hands-on application.
- The school provides opportunities for students to participate in C-STEM activities, such as RoboPlay competitions, C-STEM clubs, summer camps, industry presentations, etc.
Criterion 3: Student Progress & Achievement
- The school has a clear plan to implement C-STEM and measure student progress and achievement.
- The school captures qualitative feedback from students on C-STEM.
- The school reviews both qualitative and quantitative data and shares outcomes with teachers, district, and UCD C-STEM as appropriate.
Award recipients are selected by the C-STEM Awards Committee consisting of the university faculty, C-STEM team, graduate students, undergraduate students, and a K12 educator/s.
Applications for the 2023 Awards are due by August 31, 2023. The application is available for download as a fillable PDF.
If selected, the conference registration fee will be waived. Nominees will, however, need to provide their own travel and lodging accommodations.
For more information, please contact:
Phone: (530) 752-9082